Department: Community Programs – Open New Tab (ONT)
Reports to: YSpace Coordinator; ONT Team Lead
Classification: Part-Time, Term
Hours: 18 Hours/Week
Deadline: September 4, 2023.
Start Date: Mid-September 2023
YWCA Halifax is a progressive, multi-service, not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of women, girls, two-spirited and gender diverse people and their families at critical turning points in their lives. We work to transform lives by providing a continuum of services and programs that drive lasting positive change. We strive to change the underlying issues that are root causes of inequality, violence, poverty, and homelessness. Our four program focus areas include: promoting the health, wellness, and leadership of women and girls; advancing women’s economic and housing security; delivering quality, accessible, early learning, and childcare; and working to end violence against women, girls and gender diverse individuals.
Why work for the YWCA
Staff at YWCA Halifax enjoy a supportive and dynamic team environment, a commitment to staff growth, a connection to the national and international YWCA movements, learning from colleagues in a multiservice agency, and a strong shared vision.
Why YOU should apply
Even if you don’t have all the requirements listed in this position, you may be the right candidate. If you are a natural leader with a strong attention to detail and a passion for social justice and gender equity, we want to hear from you. Take a chance and apply. Tell us how you can make a difference through your YWCA.
Working with the YSpace Coordinator, the YSpace Facilitator will assist in the overall delivery of youth programming including planning, organizing, researching new content, facilitation of programming, attendance tracking, record keeping, and risk management. The Facilitator is responsible for co-leading programs for youth ages 12-17 within the HRM. Programs will focus on cyberviolence prevention through a holistic youth-led lens, as well as youth-led discussions on topics that are adaptive to the needs of participants.
Qualifications and Responsibilities:
Knowledge, experience, and interest in youth engagement and community development strategies from a feminist, anti-oppression theoretical perspective; experience working with diverse youth in a facilitator capacity; strong organizational skills; reliable and dependable; comfortable in a leadership role. Education and training in relevant fields (i.e., gender studies, social work. international development, health promotion, sociology, and leadership) are assets.
Essential Duties of the Position
Duties will include:
- Reviewing, planning, creating, and delivering programs curriculum at junior high schools.
- Attending regular team meetings, collecting feedback from youth, conflict resolution and crisis management.
- The Facilitator contributes to the advancement and achievement of the YWCA mission, vision, values, guiding principles, strategic plan, business plan, and departmental plan.
- Prepare and co-facilitate YWCA youth programs at junior high schools.
- Ensure all registration and reporting is submitted to the Program Coordinator in a timely manner.
- Foster positive relationships with school partners and youth participants.
- Offer program and program development feedback to the ONT Team.
- Participate in training and meetings related to these programs.
May also be required to:
- Participate in Youth Advisory Council meetings and activities.
- Maintain appropriate record keeping.
- Participate in educational and professional development as required.
YWCA Halifax is committed to diversity, and we welcome all suitably qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. YWCA Halifax is governed by, employs, and serves diverse individuals and community members. Self-identification by applicants does not guarantee an interview but we want you to know that we understand that lived experience of racialization, Indigeneity, (dis)Ability, and gender diversity are their own knowledge and expertise. We value this expertise and consider it as we discern who to interview.
If interested, please forward your cover letter and resume, in one document, with the position title in the subject line to: email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org