Part-Time Term Housing Program Assistant
Canada Summer Jobs Program
Title: Housing Program Assistant
Department: Housing, YWCA Halifax
Reports to: Housing Manager
Rate of Pay: $14.50 an hour
Type: Part time – Term (280 hours total, ending no later than November 2023)
Schedule: Varied. Weekdays, evenings, and weekends.
Start Date: June 5, 2023
** This position is part of the Canada Summer Jobs program. To be eligible for this position you must be between the ages of 15 and 30, a permanent resident of Canada or a Canadian Citizen.
YWCA Halifax is a progressive, multi-service, not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of women, girls, two-spirited and gender diverse people and their families at critical turning points in their lives. We work to transform lives by providing a continuum of services and programs that drive lasting positive change. We strive to change the underlying issues that are root causes of inequality, violence, poverty, and homelessness. Our four program focus areas include: promoting the health, wellness, and leadership of women and girls; advancing women’s economic and housing security; delivering quality, accessible, early learning, and childcare; and working to end violence against women and girls.
Why work for the YWCA
Staff at YWCA Halifax enjoy a supportive and dynamic team environment, a commitment to staff growth, a connection to the national and international YWCA movements, learning from colleagues in a multiservice agency, and a strong shared vision.
Why YOU should apply
Even if you don’t have all the requirements listed in this position, you may be the right candidate. If you are a natural leader with a strong attention to detail and a passion for social justice and gender equity, we want to hear from you. Take a chance and apply. Tell us how you can make a difference through your YWCA.
The Housing Program Assistant will support the administrative and programming needs of the YWCA Halifax’s WISH (Women in Supportive Housing) and SHYM (Supportive Housing for Young Mothers) programs.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Strong computer literacy and administrative skills.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible to diverse working environments.
- Motivated and able to take initiative and finish tasks while working independently.
- Good interpersonal and conflict resolution skills and able to work well as part of a team.
- A valid Nova Scotia driver’s license and access to a reliable and insured vehicle is considered an asset as there will be travel to multiple locations within HRM.
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, ASIST, Mental Health First Aid considered an asset.
- Must have a valid First Aid and CPR certificate.
Key duties will include:
- Check voice mails and emails daily, answer phone, take messages and direct calls.
- Support intake processes.
- Support filing and administrative systems, including data input.
- Support the team in their work with participants.
- Help deliver food boxes and other supplies to participants.
- Organize and clean office space and individual units.
- Clean and prepare vacant units for new participants.
- Child Minding.
- Assist with securing and sorting in-kind donations.
- Meal Prep.
- Attending designated internal meetings.
- Organize and/or attend special events.
- Other duties as delegated by the Housing Manager and housing team.
YWCA Halifax is committed to diversity, and we welcome all suitably qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. YWCA Halifax is governed by, employs, and serves diverse individuals and community members. Self-identification by applicants does not guarantee an interview but we want you to know that we understand that lived experience of racialization, Indigeneity, (dis)Ability, and gender diversity are their own knowledge and expertise. We value this expertise and consider it as we discern who to interview.
Special Conditions of Employment
Must have completed Criminal Back Check with Vulnerable Sector Search and Child Abuse Registry.
If interested, please send your cover letter and resume in one document to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Housing Program Assistant – CSJ
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com