Fund Development and Communications
Title: Director of Philanthropy and Communications
Department: Fund Development and Communications
Classification: Full-Time, Permanent
Hours: 37.5 hours a week – Mon – Fri
Start Date: January 2024
Deadline: November 17, 2023
Location: Halifax, NS
YWCA Halifax is a progressive, multi-service, not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of women, girls, Two Spirit and gender diverse people and their families at critical turning points in their lives. We work to transform lives by providing a continuum of services and programs that drive lasting positive change. We strive to change the underlying issues that are root causes of inequality, violence, poverty, and homelessness. Our four program focus areas include: promoting the health, wellness, and leadership of women, girls and gender diverse people; advancing economic and housing security; delivering quality, accessible, early learning, and childcare; and working to end violence against women, girls and gender diverse people.
Why work for the YWCA
Staff at YWCA Halifax enjoy a supportive and dynamic team environment, a commitment to staff growth, a connection to the national and international YWCA movements, learning from colleagues in a multiservice agency, and a strong shared vision. Seriously, the culture of YWCA Halifax is one of our best features!
Why YOU should apply
Even if you don’t have all the requirements listed in this position, you may be the right candidate. If you are a natural leader with a strong attention to detail and a passion for social justice and gender equity, we want to hear from you. Take a chance and apply. Tell us how you can make a difference through your YWCA.
In sum, you love to bring people into the YWCA as donors, sponsors, investors, and, most importantly, partners. You understand the field of philanthropy but, far more importantly, you are excited about supporting those who are ready to support the important work of the YWCA team and the difference we make in the lives of community members.
How you do this: Responsible for developing, implementing, and evaluating the annual fund development and communications plan with activities such as grant stewardship, stakeholder and donor relations, events management, individual giving, and external communications. Responsible for achieving the net revenue and communications goals of the association. You are pro-active, have a high degree of initiative, and excellent follow-through. You are highly organized, have demonstrated leadership and management capacity, and have a proven ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines. You’re a fabulous oral and written communicator and have a high degree of computer literacy.
Essential Duties of Position:
- Designs, implements, manages, and evaluates YWCA Halifax’s annual fund development plan.
- Ensures strong communication and collaborative relationships with YWCA administration and all program departments.
- Designs, implements, manages, and evaluates YWCA Halifax’s annual communications plan in accordance with the strategic plan and annual fund development goals.
- Promotes agency programs and cultivation of stakeholder groups through the arrangement and/or implementation of community/corporate presentations.
- Tracks and monitors the fund development budget, ensuring compliance and proactive achievement of net revenue goals.
- Initiates, nurtures, and implements effective partnerships with sponsors and stakeholders to meet the identified operational priorities of the association.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Undergraduate degree and/or diploma in related field (fund development, public relations) or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience or working in a fundraising capacity.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience coordinating special events.
- Demonstrated knowledge of fund development strategies and a variety of annual campaign techniques.
- Demonstrated success in preparing, submitting, and securing grant revenues.
- Experience developing and implementing public relations activities.
- Strong management capacity.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Highly effective written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong public speaking and presentation abilities.
- Highly effective interpersonal skills and ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- High level of computer literacy: Excel, Word, PowerPoint. Experience with Canva/Publisher/Illustrator and Donor Databases are assets.
- Ability to work with a diverse population, both inside and outside the agency.
- Demonstrated commitment to improving the lives of women and gender diverse people and families within our community.
YWCA Halifax is committed to diversity, and we welcome all suitably qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. YWCA Halifax is governed by, employs, and serves diverse individuals and community members. Self-identification by applicants does not guarantee an interview but we want you to know that we understand that lived experience of racialization, Indigeneity, (dis)Ability, and gender diversity are their own knowledge and expertise. We value this expertise and consider it as we discern who to interview.
If interested, please send your cover letter and resume in one document to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Director of Philanthropy and Comms
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com